Dal is a lentil soup which is served over steamed rice. It is usually prepared daily in every Indian household, (Yes, I do it too and it tends to become boring to cook dal in a similar method every day) to break the monotony I experiment with it and this is one of the swiftest methods: (Moong and Masoor dal)
- Boil the lentils till it totally softens in water: Mix of Moong dal (green gram dal) and Masoor dal (lentil dal, pink lentil) – in equal quantity
The thicker you want the soup the less should be the quantity of water.
- To hot oil, at first add fenugreek seeds followed by thinly sliced onion.
- Toss in hing (asafoetida) powder, curry leaves, green chillies, turmeric powder and salt.
- Pitch in finely chopped pieces of tomatoes.
- When the blend softens to form a fine paste, empty it over the boiled dal and stir it well.
HAPPY EATING! (It is pure delight … isn’t it?)